WELCA (Women of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America) is a function within the ELCA church at large. Every ELCA congregation’s charter includes a place for the organization of the women in the local church body. Our Savior’s women are welcome to participate in synod-wide and church-wide meetings of the organization. At Our Savior’s WELCA operates primarily through circle meetings, accomplishing ministry in many ways. Activities include:
Two Bible Study circles meet once each month.
- Ruth Circle – 3rd Monday at 9 a.m.
- Rebecca Circle – 3rd Thursday at 7 p.m.
- Coffee and fellowship every Sunday after the 8 a.m. service. The circles support the function during June and July. Member volunteers provide support the remainder of the year.
Other committees provide support for a variety of needs.
- Funerals: Food preparation and serving
- Library: Our Savior’s has a large array of books supplied by generous donations, available for members’ use
- Thanksgiving Bags: Bags of food are prepared and delivered to homebound members.
- Dorcas Sewing Circle: Meets every Wednesday afternoon at 1 p.m. to tie quilts. A few quilts are kept in West Salem for local needs; most quilts are shipped overseas by Lutheran World Relief and distributed where needed.
- Annual Lutefisk & Meatball Dinner & Bake Sale: Our Savior’s main fundraiser, held each year in November. It takes about 200 people to put on this event. This popular activity donates all the proceeds to needy causes, both locally and worldwide.